Dog and Cat Travel PassportTraveling with Your Pet

Health certificates for pets are required for travel within the United States (regardless if crossing state lines by car or by plane) as well as for international travel.

Whether for domestic or international travel, we will be happy to help you with your pet's health certificate. Like visas, however, we need 4 to 6 weeks to process the paperwork, depending on the country you're visiting.

Feel free to call us at 609-965-6008 for a domestic or international health certificate appointment. When booking the appointment, please let us know if you are planning domestic or international travel, so we can make sure that you are scheduled with the correct veterinarian for your needs.

Travel Planning Tips

  • Start planning at least two months ahead of time for domestic travel or four months for international travel to make sure that you are familiar with all the necessary requirements.

  • If traveling by car, make sure to have copies of your pet's health certificate and vaccine history, including the most current rabies certificate, and any important medical records/prescriptions. A copy of your pet's microchip number and a recent photo for identification purposes might be helpful. Also a leash, portable kennel, bowls, water, any medications, and a first aid kit.

  • If traveling by plane, research the airlines that you plan to use. Some airlines have their own requirements while others defer to the destination state or country. Important questions to ask:

    • What are the airline's policies regarding pet travel?
    • Which airplanes in their fleet have a cargo space available for larger pets? This may affect which flights are available for your trip.
    • Which flights allow smaller pets in the cabin space?
    • What type of pet carrier do they recommend?
    • What are their procedures for dropping off and picking up your pet?
    • Do they have a non-stop flight for you and your pet to your destination? How do they handle layovers between flights when your pet is on board?

**Only United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) approved veterinarians are allowed to issue an international health certificate. Cologne Animal Hospital currently has an approved veterinarian on staff.**

Helpful Resources

New Jersey USDA office
Mercer Corporate Park
320 Corporate Blvd., Robbinsville, NJ 08691-1598
Phone: (609) 259-5260 or (609) 259-5261
Fax: (609) 259- 2477

USDA website
Frequently Asked Questions
Checklist for Obtaining an International Health Certificate